Lead paint

    Lead paint was common place before the 1950's. It was not only used in commercial painting products, but coated many children's toys. Lead was used to enhance color and because of its opaque nature, a small amount could cover a large area, making it cost effective.  But the effects of lead on our health is profound. It has severe effects on the brain and can inhibit the body's ability to absorb the metals we need, like iron, calcium and zinc. Small children, who have the tendency to put everything in their mouths, are the most affected by lead's crippling effects, and in 1950, the use of lead paint in children's toys was banned. 

  photo credit: Wayan Vota

photo credit: Wayan Vota

    Lead based decorative paints were still allowed on the market several decades after that, which is why so many older homes have it on their walls. Over time, old paint crumbles into dust, which can coat surfaces or be breathed in by inhabitants. If you believe your home contains lead paint, there are many home kits available for purchase to confirm your suspicions. If you confirm that you do have lead paint in your home, it is wise to look into the professional removal of it, especially if you have children. Megna painting has been certified in lead paint removal. Please call us if you think you may have lead paint in your home or business and we will help get rid of it promptly and thoroughly.